- Caffeine Amount8 mg
- Caffeine strengthLOW
- Serving size1 square
Dark chocolate comes in vast number of different formulations and brands. Like coffee, caffeine amounts in chocolate varies significantly. Dark chocolates have a higher amount of cacao, and therefore more caffeine.
Generic dark chocolate
The data above is an averaged amount: There is 8 mg caffeine in a 10 g piece of dark chocolate.
Data from the USDA shows the following:
- 70-85% dark has 80 mg caffeine per 100 g chocolate.
- 60-69% dark has 86 mg caffeine per 100 g chocolate.
- 45-59% dark has 43 mg caffeine per 100 g chocolate.
Most bars have 10 pieces of chocolate in a bar.
From Lindt: "Generally, 30g of dark chocolate contains about 20mg of caffeine".
- 60% Intense Dark: 109 mg /100 g
- 72% Cacao Twilight Delight: 22 mg/17 g square or 128 mg/100 g
- 86% Cacao Midnight Reverie: 20 mg/13 g square or 152.45 mg/100 g
- Espresso Escape: 17 mg/13 g square or 129 mg/100 g
- Toffee Interlude: 9 mg/13 g square or 70 mg/100 g
Where To Buy
Ingredients in Dark ChocolateVaries
Is Dark Chocolate high in caffeine?
SourcesUSDA database at https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/ Ghirardelli customer service and http://www.ghirardelli.com/ See other references.
Last updated on 24 Feb 2021. Suggestions or corrections? Send Feedback