Top Selling Energy Drink Brands
The energy drink market continues to grow even in light of the tough economy and increased health scrutiny. However, the growth has slowed. Soda sales have been declining steadily over the same period, while energy drink sales have been booming.
Despite recent FDA scrutiny regarding the safety of these beverages, 2018 energy drink sales were up 4.1% compared to the same time period in 2017. However, the rate of growth in 2013 was 6.7%. src.
Did your favorite energy drink make the list?
2018 Top Selling Energy Drinks (USA)
|Energy Drink||Dollar Sales||Change From Last Year|
|Red Bull Sugar-Free||732,722,688||-0.02%|
|Monster Zero Ultra||623,692,160||+13.77%|
|Monster Lo Carb||295,709,408||-3.95%|
|Monster Mega Energy||241,450,592||-2.29%|
|Red Bull Blue Edition||203,234,928||-0.26%|
|Red Bull Yellow Edition||179,638,672||-1.31%|
|Rockstar Pure Zero||156,082,096||+3.87%|
|Monster Ultra Sunrise||148,391,056||+13.36%|
|Red Bull Green Edition||138,053,872||+526.15%|
|Monster Absolute Zero||122,465.272||-4.09%|
|Red Bull Red Edition||113,413,472||-8.26&|
*Data for 52 weeks ended 3/25/18
Red Bull is definitely still reigning as supreme but Monster is making some good gains. It’s also interesting to see that sugar-free energy drinks seem to be growing while many of the sugar-laden varieties have been declining in sales.
Some honorable mentions are Xyience, Bang, Spider, and Rip It for also making a nice showing sales-wise.
Here’s some older data for the worldwide energy drink market for comparison to the USA market.
Worldwide Top 15 Energy Drinks
Based on worldwide sales figures here’s how the energy drink brands stack up worldwide.
|11||Eastroc Super Drink||213|
The data for the above graph was provided to us by Euromonitor International who tracks the worldwide sales of energy drinks and many other consumer products.
Red Bull has a sizable lead in the USA, but worldwide the energy drink giant has a massive lead over any other competitor.
Top Selling Energy Shot Brands
|2014||2014 sales ($millions)||2013||2013 sales ($millions)||2012||2012 sales ($millions)||2011||2011 sales ($millions)|
|1||5 Hour Energy||725||5 Hour Energy||732||5 Hour Energy||1,114||5 Hour Energy||896||5 Hour Energy||996|
|2||Stacker inc/6 hr. Power||10||Stacker inc/6 hr. Power||11||Stacker inc/6 Hour Power||47||6 Hour Power||30||6 Hour Power||22|
|3||Tweaker||8.3||Tweaker||8||Private Label||17||Red Bull Shot||25||Worx||14|
|4||RhinoRush||3.7||Street King||3.7||Worx Energy Shot||7||Monster Hitman||10||E6||5|
|5||Vital 4 U||3.5||Vital 4 U||3.4||Tweaker||5||Stacker 2||4||Stacker 2||4|
|6||Fuel In A Bottle||3.3||Fuel In A Bottle||3||Street King||4.9||Nitro 2 Go||3.4||Redline Power Rush||3.5|
|7||Street King||3||RhinoRush||2.9||E6 Energy Shot||3.9||Redline||3.2||Spike Double Shot||3.2|
|8||E6 Energy Shot||2.5||Nitro 2 Go||2.68||Rip It Energy Shot||3.2||Vital 4U||3.1||Vital 4U||3|
|9||Rip It Shot||1.7||E6 Energy Shot||2.65|
|10||Nitro 2 Go||1.4||Worx Energy Shot||1.3|
5 Hour Energy certainly has the energy shot market cornered with none of the others anywhere in the same universe as 5 Hour, but they seem to be losing their dominance in late 2014 as other brands gain market share. The energy shot market segment was down 4.1% in 2014 compared to the same time period the previous year and in 2015 down again. It looks like some are losing their enthusiasm for the energy shot. ²
Top Selling Energy Drink Mixes
|Rank||2013||2013 sales ($millions)|
|2||Crystal Light Energy||39.5|
|4||Propel Energy Drink Mix||23|
|6||4C Energy Rush||3.3|
Which Companies Own Which Brands?
It’s also interesting to note that some parent companies own several different brands of energy drinks. Here’s a bit of the breakdown.
- Coca Cola owns Nos, Burn, and Relentless but has given Monster Energy the rights to these brands.
- Pepsi Co. owns Amp, Starbucks bottled drinks, Mountain Dew Kickstart but sold No Fear.
- Monster also owns Worx Energy Shot.
- Coca-Cola just bought a 17% Stake in the Monster Beverage Company. Monster will take over Coke’s Energy Drink Brands and Coke takes over Monster’s Hanson brand.
- Rockstar is still flying solo, but is distributed by Pepsi.
Does top selling mean that they are also the best energy drinks?
- 1. 2018 Data is from the top brands per, latest 52 week period, Total U.S. Multi-Outlet w/ C-Store (Supermarkets, Drugstores, Mass Market Retailers, Gas/C-Stores, Military Commissaries and Select Club & Dollar Retail Chains) provided by "IRI, a Chicago-based market research firm (@iriworldwide)".
- 2. 2014 and 2015 Data is from IRI covering a 52 week period ending November 2, 2014 and March 22, 2015; based on USA sales only and some retailers not reporting.
- 3. Prior to 2013 the data was compiled from data published by beverage industry insider Bevnet.com