In the purest sense, espresso coffee is made from 7 grams of finely ground coffee extracted to 1.5 fluid ounces (44 ml) over about 25 seconds.
Espresso is usually topped with a golden creamy color (called the crema).
Typically each barista and coffee shop have their own particular styles, coffee blends, machines, and even filter basket sizes.
The caffeine content used in the database has been averaged from caffeine testing done on six different espresso servings (each from a different coffee outlet). The caffeine content varied considerably, as did the volume of the serving.
Values ranged from 58 mg up to 185 mg for a double shot.
The USDA value for Espresso coffee is 64 mg caffeine per fluid ounce.
UPDATE: Analysis of 97 different Espresso drinks in Queensland, Australia found a much higher value of 106mg per serve. The range varied enormously (25mg to 214mg). Source: Journal of Food and Chemical Toxicology.
- A single serving of Espresso is called a "shot".
- Two servings is called a double shot or Espresso Doppio.
- Ristretto - A very short or "restricted" shot.
- Espresso con panna - Espresso topped with whipped cream (sometimes called Café Vienne or Vienna).
- Espresso Lungo - A "long" shot or pull. Instead of the traditional 1.5 fluid ounces, the shot is poured for 2 or 3 ounces.
- Espresso Macchiato - The espresso is topped or "marked" with a dash of foamed milk.
Other popular drinks such as a cappuccino, caffe latte (or latté), caffe mocha (or mochaccino) are based on one or two shots of espresso.
Some countries refer to a shot of espresso as a "short black". Australia and New Zealand typically serve an additional drink called a flat white - similar to a cappuccino but using only steamed milk and some micro foam rather than fluffy foamed milk on top.
Where To Buy Espresso
Ingredients in Coffee (Espresso)
Finely ground dark roasted coffee beans and water.
Sugar content: Contains no sugar.Compare Sugar Content
Similar ItemsAdina Natural Highs Coffee Energy Drink 100mg
Americano Coffee 154mg
Barista Bros Iced Coffee 219mg
Bean and Body Coffee 72mg
Big Train Java Chip Ice Coffee 49mg
Biggby Brewed Coffee 200mg
Biggby Iced Coffee 192mg
Biohazard Coffee 928mg
Coffee (Espresso) contains 51.33 mgs of caffeine per fluid ounce (173.58mg/100 ml).