Sugar Amounts in Soda, Energy Drinks, Coffee, and Tea Beverages
How much sugar is in your favorite soda or energy drink?
Which popular soda has the most sugar?
- 12 oz can of Mtn Dew – 46 grams
- 12 oz can of Pepsi – 41 grams
- 12 oz can of Coca-Cola – 39 grams
How many grams of sugar are in a 12 oz can of soda?
Typically between 35 – 45 grams of sugar.
Why is so much sugar placed in drinks?
- Caffeine is bitter. Most people address this by adding sugar to caffeinated beverages.
- Straight coffee (no milk, no sugar) is zero-calorie and sugar-free, but bitter, so it is sweetened to improve flavor.
Many energy drinks also contain a lot of sugar – particularly those that are juice / soda combinations.
- Energy drinks contain lots of sugar, particularly those that are juice/soda combinations.
- Some of the most popular 16 fl oz energy drinks contain around 40-55 grams of sugar. This is about 8-11 teaspoons of sugar.
Zero sugar sodas are getting more popular
Almost all beverage manufacturers produce zero-sugar versions of their drinks.
Often, the product will be sweetened with an artificial sweetener (such as aspartame, Splenda, acesulfame potassium, or stevia).